ITR V is needed to be submitted at the time of e-filing of Income Tax Return (ITR). This article is all about what is ITR V and why is it essential to submit physically when we have already submitted the ITR Form online.
What is ITR V?
ITR V stands for income tax return verification. It is a one-page document and a comprehensive summary of the tax return and only obtained when you file your ITR online without using a digital signature. It is sent by the Income Tax Department to check the validity of your e-filing which does not have a digital signature.
Guidelines for ITR V
- Income tax return Acknowledgment Form should be printed in black ink only. Do not use any other ink option to print income tax return verification.
- Only A4 size sheets should be used
- Do not type or write anything on the back of the print of this form.
- Do not submit any additional documents with the cover letter.
- Do not use a stapler on income tax return verification acknowledgment.
- Signatures photocopy will not be accepted.
- Use only Inkjet or Laser printer to print income tax return verification form and avoid printing on the Dot Matrix printer.
- Do not print any kind of watermarks on income tax return verification.
- The bar code and the numbers should be clearly visible.
- Make sure the print out of the page should be clear and not faded
- By ordinary post or speed post you can send your income tax return verification form to Post Bag No.1, Electronic City Post Office, Bengaluru, Karnataka-560100,
Steps to Download Your ITR V Form
The income tax return verification form is sent to the email id which you entered at the time of creating your user-id and password on the website (www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in) of the taxpayer as per the records of the Income-tax Department.
The user can download the income tax return Acknowledgement Form from his registered mailbox by two different methods.
- Step 1 – Go to Income tax India Website and click on login here.
- Step 2 – Choose the “View Returns/ Forms” option to see e-filed tax returns.
- Step 3 – Click on Acknowledgement number of the ITR for which you want to download ITR V.
- Step 4 – Select ITR V/Acknowledgement to download.
- Step 5 – After downloading the acknowledgment; enter the password to open the document.
The password to open ITR-V
The password for income tax return verification is your PAN number in lower letters along with the date of birth.
Date of Birth: 02/02/1981
Step 6 – Print and sign the document and Send this to CPC Bangalore within 120 days from the date of e-filing.
- Login to the government’s Income Tax e-filing platform
- Go to “My Account” tab
- Click on “View e-Filed Returns/Forms”
- Select “e-Filed Returns/Forms” from the drop-down list
- Click on the “Submit” button
- Click on the “Acknowledgement No” for the respective assessment year
- Click on the “ITR-V/Acknowledgement” option from the new dialogue box to download ITR-V
If you have downloaded the income tax return verification from the Income Tax Department’s website, you’ll require a password to open it.
Other Methods of Verification
- Aadhar OTP
- Net banking
- Electronic Verification Code (EVC)
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I send more than one income tax return verification form?
It is possible to send multiple income tax return verification forms in a single mailer. You can club your income tax return verification with your friends or family members to save on postage costs.
Is ITR V different from other income tax return forms like ITR 1, ITR 2, etc.?
Forms such as ITR 1, ITR 2, and ITR3, and so on are the forms used for filing Income Tax Return while income tax return verification is the acknowledgment you receive after filing earlier mentioned forms. Once you have done with the ITR filing online form, you should furnish income tax return verification to indicate that the details in your ITR have been verified by you. It has two methods of ITR filing- Online and Offline.
Is it important to send Form 16 or any other document with ITR V?
No, you don’t need to send any supporting documents to the tax department with your income tax return verification.
What is the due date to send income tax return verification to CPC?
You get 120 days from the day of your ITR filing to send income tax return verification to CPC.
What if I fail to send income tax return verification to CPC?
If you do not send your income tax return verification in the time allowed (120 days), the Income Tax department will consider your ITR invalid (i.e. as if you never filed that return).
How to get a duplicate income tax return verification?
If you have digitally filed your Income Tax Return, you can always download any number of duplicate income tax return verification forms from the e-filing portal of the Income Tax department. However, to obtain income tax return verification in the case of manual filing, you need to send a request for the same to your Assessing Officer.
How can I change the email address present in my ITR-V?
In general, you cannot change the email given in income tax return verification but if it is necessary you can consider revising your return if permitted under the Act. Alternatively, you can inform the tax department about the change in your email by updating your profile on the e-filing portal. To update your profile please follow the steps given below:
Step 1 – Login to the Income Tax department’s digital filing portal
Step 2 – Go to “Profile Settings” then click on ‘My Profile’
Step 3 – Click on the “Contact Details” tab then click on the ‘Edit’ button
Step 4 – Enter the new email address, click on ‘Save’ then click on ‘Continue’
Step 5 – You will receive Email and SMS PIN
Step 6 – Enter both the PIN in the respective boxes then click on ‘Confirm’
Step 7 – Your email address is now updated with ITD.
What should be filled in income tax return verification acknowledgment?
Income tax return verification only requires your signature, no other information is required to be filled in.
Should I send a photocopy of the duly signed income tax return verification?
No, you must sign and send the original income tax return verification printed copy and not its photocopy.
Can I send more than one income tax return verification in one envelope?
Yes, you can but ensure that the barcode is not tampered with & income tax return verifications are not stapled together.
Can I verify my ITR without sending ITR-V to CPC?
Yes, you can choose to do it online through digital Verification.
For any help regarding ITR Filing, feel free to consult the tax experts at LegalRaahi. You can file ITR yourself via our ITR software or get CA’s help on filing an income tax return. You can also use the option of Business Return, Bulk Return, or Revised Return Filing. Hurry up! Give us a call at 8750008585 and send your query on Email: [email protected]
Common mistakes to avoid while filing ITR
Steps after e-filing of ITR
Types of Income Tax Return Filing